Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What Was Cooking In Junior Seau’s Pot?

When I was growing up and word of an unexpected personal tragedy involving relatives, friends, or acquaintances reached my mother, she would sometimes remark that “you never know what’s cooking in someone else’s pot.”  When I learned today of the sudden death of Junior Seau, I mumbled my mother’s saying.  Junior Seau was one of my favorite pro football players.  He was All-Pro every year, and one of the best defensive players of all time.  Junior seemed like a really good guy, too. Everyone seemed to like and respect him.  Now he’s gone, maybe by his own hand.  You’d think that he would have been on top of the world, basking in the respect and fame he earned on the field.  He wasn’t, however, and fell victim to his own personal demons.  Human beings are mysterious creatures.  The person whose success and position you envy may be struggling every day to just to put one foot in front of the other.  You never know.  So, be kind to the people you encounter today.  Each one of them is fighting a tough battle.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I was very sad to hear about Junior Seau.

    We never know what someone else is going through. Sometimes our smile is the thing that gets them through the day. We should be generous with our smiles and kind words.

    ReplyDelete